Radiator 'oscillating' behaviour

Options

I have tado trvs throughout the downstairs and a single tado wireless thermostat controlling the upstairs

I have a single radiator with a Tado TRV in a large downstairs room.

The temp is set to be 18 degrees at all times except for 0730 - 0800 and 1530 - 22:00 when i t raises slightly to 18.5 degrees.

From the graph it seems like the radiator comes on and off constantly through the night - is this normal behaviour ? does the drop in temperature indicate a draft or heat leak ?

should the overnight temp be set lower to allow it to go off for a longer period ?

An issue is surely is that if that one radiator is constantly on and off during the night then other radiators without tado TRVs will heat too ??

Thanks

Comments

• davidlyall
    Options

That looks normal to me

The TRV senses the temp drop so opens and requests heat. This then heats the room and as you say might overshoot the target a little due to residual heat in the radiator after the valve closes. The room then cools and the cycle repeats

You are correct that if the other non-Tado radiator valves are open, those rooms will heat too. Best option is to get Tado TRVs onto all of the rooms you want to control

I'd also suggest reducing the overnight temp or even setting it to "off". If you're not using the room then no need to heat it. All those on/off cycles will require the boiler to fire and heat the system up so it won't be very efficient.

• davidlyall - thanks for you reply. I think you are right - the scale on the y axis makes it look like the changes are bigger than the 2 degree up and down that is actually going on.