Vaillant ecotech plus 428 open vent boiler, ebus and Tado?

Hello, I have a Vaillant ecotech plus 428 open vent boiler in a Y plan heating system.

Boiler was installed in July 2013. It has wired controls, Drayton timer, Honeywell room plus hot water thermostat and three port valve. The boiler does not have the optional Vaillant VR65 control unit. Control is timed, simple on/off for heating and water. The boiler manual shows the circuit board has "BUS - +" two wire terminals and "X31 eBUS accessory connection" shown. Presumably these are simply unused at present.

I am interested in upgrading the controls to a Tado 3 with extension unit. But I don't see the definitive answer in the forums that Tado will work properly on my boiler using ebus on my open vent Y plan system. I see no point spending the money for a Tado plus installation cost if I just end up with Tado in on/off control mode.

So, the question - Has anyone here got a fully functioning system like mine that they can confirm works properly with modulating control via ebus with Tado 3 please?

Thanks.

Comments

• You cannot use Y Plan with eBus. The Y Plan wiring centre and components are working at 230V, whilst eBus works at a low voltage. The VR65 module is effectively an interface between the low voltage eBus and the high voltage components. To use eBus with a heat only boiler you will need someone to install the VR65 and remove the current wiring centre.

• Thank you for such an excellent answer. As a non heating professional it is extremely difficult to see what is possible and what isn't from Tado and Vaillant websites.

Since VR65 seems to have been obsolete for some time now, I think I am going to have to leave it just how it is. The object of the exercise was to run the boiler modulating rather than on/off to perhaps help trim the gas bill.

Perhaps I shall just use the money I was going to spend helping to pay the gas bill.

Thanks again.