w.Intercom = i;Official Announcement: Sunsetting IFTTT — tado° Community

Official Announcement: Sunsetting IFTTT

Emcee
Emcee Admin
edited October 2 in General Questions & Topics

Hello Community,

Many of you have already seen other threads regarding this topic. However, if any of you missed the threads or did not receive the email announcement, you can find tado°'s official statement regarding the end of its integration with IFTTT below.

At tado°, we are continually striving to refine our services and offerings to better suit the needs of our community. Today, we need to share an important update regarding our integration capabilities. 

Upcoming Changes to IFTTT Integration

tado° has made the decision to stop its IFTTT (“If This Then That”) integration in August 2024. This means that all IFTTT applets that use tado° IFTTT actions, as well as other triggers that affect tado° devices, will no longer work following September 15th 2024. 

Several factors have led to this decision. The steep decrease in IFTTT users after IFTTT started charging for some of its capabilities, combined with the disproportionate resources required to keep assisting a small number of IFTTT-supported Homes, has led us to cut ties with IFTTT. We are confident that we can give tado° users a better overall experience by shifting our focus away from IFTTT integration toward new features that tado° users have actively requested and are excited about.

Powerful Alternatives 

We understand that this change might be inconvenient, and we are here to support you through this transition. To ensure you maintain seamless smart home automation, we recommend exploring powerful alternatives such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, and Home Assistant. These platforms offer extensive control and integration capabilities that can enrich your tado° experience. Alexa Routines, for instance, are an effective way to substitute IFTTT’s functionalities in a tado°-Home connected to the Amazon Alexa app. Similar functions also exist for Google Home and Apple HomeKit users. 

tado° has witnessed a substantial adoption of the above-mentioned alternatives among its users, many of whom prefer their capabilities over IFTTT’s. 

For further assistance or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team via live chat. 

Thank you for your understanding and for being a valued member of the tado° family. 

Comments

• pcone
    pcone ✭✭✭
    edited August 7

Similarly, the integration with Home Assistant is excellent. A bit of a steep learning curve, but worth investigating

• martini
    martini Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 7

I haven't seen the discontinuation notice myself yet - but if I had to wager a guess as to why: IFTTT has been quite bad when it comes to keeping promises and decent pricing. Thinking back, they offered a "name your own price and you'll pay that price forever" and then started going back on that promise pushing people into way more expensive subscriptions, conveniently forgetting about the "forever"…

I wouldn't be surprised, if they pulled a similar stunt on their developer partners (such as tado) by increasing the price it costs to provide a service on their platform. At least I do remember some other, 3rd party services, quoting crazy price hikes for their dismissal of the IFTTT platform.

Another theory might be, that they are just dropping IFTTT since it's not compatible with Line X - at least when I connect my home, IFTTT does not offer any heating zones/functionality…

• rafm5
    rafm5 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 7

It never worked properly on my end and the lags were just horrendous. The new pricing policy made it not worth it.

• Squuiid
    Squuiid ✭✭
    edited August 7

I use Apple Home and Siri with Tado and IFTTT. Without IFTTT, how do I ask Siri to set heating to Automatic? Also, how can I ask Siri to turn on or off the Hot Water?

This is basic Siri functionality that can't be done without IFTTT. If tado are removing their support for IFTTT then at the very least they should expand their Siri Shortcuts offering to replace this voice command functionality.

This is a significant step backwards and I would ask that tado reconsider the IFTTT decision. As it stands, I can no longer control my tado heating with Siri voice commands.

• DarrenMc
    DarrenMc
    edited August 7

As a HomeKit user it seems that Tado no longer cares…if they are pulling the only easy way to return heating to Automatic then give us a small update to HomeKit so that we can do it natively. Other systems seem capable to do this.

I don't really mind if IFTTT is removed as long as we can get to the same functionality.

• Emcee
    Emcee Admin
    edited August 7

Hello @bijomaru78 and @cornclose

As you've correctly stated, tado° has made the decision to stop its IFTTT (“If This Then That”) integration. This means that all IFTTT applets that use tado° IFTTT actions, as well as other triggers that affect tado° devices, will no longer work.

Several factors have led to this decision. The steep decrease in IFTTT users after IFTTT started charging for some of its capabilities, combined with the disproportionate resources required to keep assisting a small number of IFTTT-supported Homes, has led us to cut ties with IFTTT. We are confident that we can give tado° users a better overall experience by shifting our focus away from IFTTT integration toward new features that tado° users have actively requested and are excited about.

We understand that this change might be inconvenient, and we are here to support you through this transition. To ensure you maintain seamless smart home automation, we recommend exploring powerful alternatives such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, Apple HomeKit, and Home Assistant. These platforms offer extensive control and integration capabilities that can enrich your tado° experience. Alexa Routines, for instance, are an effective way to substitute IFTTT’s functionalities in a tado°-Home connected to the Amazon Alexa app. Similar functions also exist for Google Home and Apple HomeKit users. 

tado° has witnessed a substantial adoption of the above-mentioned alternatives among its users, many of whom prefer their capabilities over IFTTT’s. 

For further assistance or if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact our customer support team via live chat. 

• pebneter
    pebneter
    edited August 7

Really disappointed as well! 😡

One of the main reasons to choose Tado over others is that it offered at least one way to control it via an external, cloud-based system.

I run a home automation service myself with an IFTTT backend integration, and therefore I know that is not difficult to maintain an integration once it's implemented. Nor am I aware of any commercial or technical change introduced by IFTTT.

My guess it this is triggered by Tado X launch and a bit of spring cleaning. IFTTT is probably less popular these days and alternatives (Google Home, HomeKit) have emerged.

My request to Tado to make up for this loss: Offer an API or some simple webhooks to your users! Such things were common in the early days of Smart Home, but sadly open APIs have mostly disappeared.

• martini
    martini Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 7

We understand that this change might be inconvenient, and we are here to support you through this transition. To ensure you maintain seamless smart home automation, we recommend exploring powerful alternatives such as Amazon AlexaGoogle HomeApple HomeKit, and Home Assistant. These platforms offer extensive control and integration capabilities that can enrich your tado° experience. Alexa Routines, for instance, are an effective way to substitute IFTTT’s functionalities in a tado°-Home connected to the Amazon Alexa app. Similar functions also exist for Google Home and Apple HomeKit users. 

Sorry, @Emcee but didn't they say that using Alexa oder Google Home is not an option since those platforms are missing the required triggers to make this work?

Perhaps that's something you could bring up with your team, since this could be implemented server-side without the need to actually change the devices firmware…

• DarrenMc
    DarrenMc
    edited August 7

I agree…the other platforms do NOT expose the same triggers….but could do!….and that's my point…no effort from Tado….just turn the bugger off and annoy a few customers who use it.

To be honest I am super glad they announced it now….was about to blow a load of cash on additional wireless thermostats where I have multiple rad stats in a room to control things better….this just stopped me in my tracks.

• cornclose
    cornclose
    edited August 7

@DarrenMc - I too was about to add to my Tado system, as I am about to move to a larger house that requires more kit. Also now looking elsewhere unless Tado decide to do things properly or reverse their decision.

And @Emcee, stating what is already known in the email sent to us does not answer any of the questions or address any of the concerns. Using the other services does not provide the functionality that IFTTT currently does. Therefore I ask the question, why not ? Will it ? If so, when will it ?

And finally again, what about a proper, supported API or is that never going to happen ?

Very disappointing.

• aarong
    aarong
    edited August 7
    @Emcee please can you clarify.

I currently have to use IFTTT today setup currently so that I can use Siri to turn on & off the hot water for the house (if I need an extra hot water boost).

Tado are saying an alternative is to use HomeKit. Great! I would love to! But as far as I’m aware the Hot Water function isn’t currently exposed to HomeKit via the Tado Bridge, please correct me if I am wrong? As it is only possible to set heating controls, not hot water separately.

Are Tado aware of this & working to ensure Hot Water is an available function / action in HomeKit before IFTTT switch off?!

If not, before September will Tado app on iOS open up shortcuts within the app as a functionality - so that Siri can at least still turn on & off the hot water - without having to use IFTTT?

Thank you!
  • philb63
    philb63
    edited August 7

@Emcee

This is really not acceptable. I use Tado geofencing as a trigger to arm and disarm my Blink camera system so that when the last family member leaves or the first family member arrives, the cameras are turned on or off. This cannot be achieved using Amazon Alexa as Alex does not have the correct trigger for Tado. How can I achieve the same functionality?

• JoSh_Gladstone
    edited August 7

So Tado have announced they'll stop support for IFTTT from September 2024.

I've used Tado since 2013, first to control an ancient analog gas boiler and now to control a modern electric heating system, and it has worked very well with IFTTT. They seem to ignore the fact that some of us are using Tado to control electric heating.

They have listed the integrations that they will support e.g. Google and Alexa, none of which are suitable for my needs. I think the alternative for me, rather than change my switching devices, is to remove Tado and install a stat from a different supplier that does support IFTTT.

I'm very disappointed by this backward step by Tado.

• JoSh_Gladstone
    edited August 7

Yes I'm very disappointed. As I mentioned in my other post before seeing yours, I've used Tado since 2013, first to control an ancient analog gas boiler and more recently a modern electric heating system. It has been very efficient and cost effective with IFTTT (I have an IFTTT Pro+ paid account).

The alternative for me is not to remove my switching devices but to remove Tado and replace with a stat that does support IFTTT.

• DarrenMc
    DarrenMc
    edited August 7

Aqara do a fine thermostat which automatically link to the window/temp sensors…has IFTTT, HomeKit, Alexa…etc. However, they do NOT have the functionality which TADO does for controlling..pre-heat etc etc. So we just need for Tado to expose the functionality correctly to the other smart platforms and problem is solved.

I have a pro account solely for the purpose of Tado control. I bet I won’t get a goodwill refund from Tado.

• tadouul
    tadouul
    edited August 7
    Very disappointed about this. I use IFTTT with lights and it is a huge let down 👎
  • Emcee
    Emcee Admin
    edited August 7

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your feedback.

Our development team is going to be investigating this thread to see what IF statements were being used by tado° customers. For the moment being, tado° does not support temperature / humidity triggers on Apple, Google products. On Alexa, however, there exists quite a range of actions. These do not require hardware or subscriptions—having the Alex app alone is enough.

Most prominently, it should be possible to replicate window sensor actions (e.g. return to to heating schedule when window is closed) with Alexa routines as long as your window sensors are also connected to Alexa.

Additionally, Alexa can also support:

- set power on/off
    - set temperature per room
    - via smart home, boost room on/off and cancel manual control

With regards to domestic hot water, I have been told that controls similar to IFTT are possible with Google and Alexa. This is not the case for Apple (Siri), unfortunately.

• philb63
    philb63
    edited August 7

@Emcee None of the above solves my issue. I use Tado geolation as a trigger in IFTTT - this is not available as an action in Alexa so my smart home functionality will no longer funtion. Why can there not be 'when switch to Home' of 'when switch to Away' be available in Alexa?

• aarong
    aarong
    edited August 7
    Thanks @Emcee for responding. To clarify with regards to domestic hot water in HomeKit/Siri. To confirm is this just not possible today (ie. Tado yet to open up hot water function to HomeKit) or is this a limitation of HomeKit?

As mentioned, if this is the case Siri Shortcuts should be an alternative option. But again, requires Tado to actively support this within their app & open up Hot Water as a shortcut.

Hopefully this can be resolved alongside other limitations in this thread before removal of IFTTT. Thank you

If required the setup I had for this with IFTTT was: If ‘button press -> Then start preparing hot water. Siri Shortcuts app was setup to activate IFTTT applet to boost hot water for a pre configured amount of time.
  • JoSh_Gladstone
    edited August 7

Thanks Emcee. I use 'Temperature rises above threshold', 'Temperature falls below threshold' triggers and geofencing to control electric heating. I'm not interested in Alexa. The solution would be to swap out Tado which would be a pity as it has been a very reliable, and sensitive, stat.

It seems a backward step if Tado are ignoring control of electric heating systems. You'd have thought they might have progressed to their own automation systems by now.

• perchima
    perchima
    edited August 7
    I am using IFTTT for triggering the heating based on humidity - is there a possibility to do this without IFTTT?
  • docirl
    docirl
    edited August 7
    Can anyone confirm if there is a ‘simple’ way to achieve the same ‘return to automatic control’ without using IFTTT? I use this for all my windows to return the room to auto when the window is closed (with Aqara contact sensors in Apple HomeKit). Tado window detection is no replacement for this, so I need a way to this if IFTTT will no longer be an option.
  • Return to automatic control can be achieved with an Alexa routine. There it is a custom scene to turn off Manual Control that can be added as an action once something has happened (e.g. window sensor turns to closed)

• Will Tado add integration for Smartthings? This is the only thing holding us back from spending on Tado products.