Ways to reduce TRV noise?

Hi,

Just bought some TRV’s and the thermostat to go with it all. Moving away from a Nest.

The only issue I’ve got is the TRVs can be quite loud. You can hear them in other rooms. I’ve tried two sets, so it’s not a faulty batch.

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to make them quieter?

Thanks!

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

I suspect the noise may well be installation specific. I find mine better than my previous bluetooth version which were slightly quieter but took 2/3 times as long to perform the opening or closing. Although there are many here who agree with you, I haven't read of any way to reduce the problem.

• Thanks!

What sort of radiators do you have, and are you running copper pipes?

Mine have copper upstairs, plastic downstairs with copper tails to the radiators. All radiators are new- convection style type 22 kudox.

When the valves move off the radiator, they are very quiet.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

@trv_noise Yep -similar rads to yourself with copper throughout but I do have any visible copper covered with plastic sleeve but I can't see that making a difference - maybe I'm a heavy sleeper!!

• @samd

Perhaps the difference is not the pipes but the actual TRV valve? This will be likely different for many people. What brand and model are you using? Also are you using horizontal or vertical version of the Tado?

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@jelockwood Hi - all are vertical but I have at least three different makes or models just by looking at the shape. I have no idea who the maker is - been in for a number of years.

• I think the sound is being amplified by the radiator. Is there a spacer in the kit that can be used to isolate it better from the radiator?