Geofencing Feature is not working correctly.......

I know that this tado° feature has been reported as " faulty " before by quite a few users......and i want to raise the topic again.

Today (before heading out on a road trip) I switched my App into "AWAY " geofencing mode......however the App did not change condition.......ie all room tiles still showing the " HOME " settings.

When I opened the Geofencing tile in the App.........I noticed that my phone was still being shown as " at home "..........so my assumption is/was that the physical location of my phone was overriding the App selection.......so I decided to switch off my phone (surely this will remove the phone's location from the App) ......however the App was still showing the " HOME " temperatures and not the " AWAY " temperature settings.

So, I would like to mention that I agree that this is just yet another tado° feature that simply does not operate in the way that it should.......I am simply waiting for the end of the current cold period and then I will be removing my tado° devices.......what a total waste of my time (2 and a half yrs) and money this " experiment" has proved to be !!!!!!!

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    UPDATE 22:45
    So I am now 70 miles from home.....and the Geofencing shows me as on the farthest ring on the "map" and the Geofencing switch is on "AWAY" and the Geofencing tile on the App homepage is showing "AWAY"......... However all the room tiles are still showing the "HOME" schedule temperature settings.
    What a crock of s##t.
    I have had to "Turn Off All Rooms" to stop my CH wasting gas.....great system !!!!
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 Great system indeed! I feel for you having just gone through a month with no comms thanks to Openreach!! Getting up at sparrow-fart-minus every morning to turn on rads, awakened at 2 am by a firing boiler having forgotten to turn off a blighter the night before (more than once!) 'twas no fun and brought home our reliance on a delicate arrangement! Have you decided what you might change to?

• @samd
    I'm going to go "OLD SCHOOL" with my current Viessmann Vitodens 050-W combi boiler (Viessmann Wireless Thermostat /Controller).......but I'm going to fit the Viessmann Weather Compensation external sensor to achieve "modulation"
    I'm also going to fit my original TRV's back on.
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭

I just got a deal on Drayton Wiser (hubr, 1 wireless stat, 6 TRV's) for £368, and a I had £100 voucher laying around from my virgin media sign up last year, so thought I would give it a go for £268, if work any better, I'll buy more wireless stats, The thing that interests me is the Home Assistant plugin, that make it way more powerful than tado˚.

• I'll have a look at them and then decide on the best way forward for my particular setup.
  • I'm slightly confused by your comments - you don't switch the app to away mode, it uses your current location automatically and switches to away mode when you are a certain distance from home. One thing that I know has caught a few people out is if Tado is installed on multiple devices and one of them never leaves home (eg I have an Android tablet at home which never moves) and geolocation should be turned off for that device.

For me, geolocation is one of the best features of Tado and has always worked flawlessly for me. If I remember, I'll post a screenshot of what the main screen looks like for me when I'm away from home.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

@Phil_A

I have had my tado° system for over 2 1/2 yrs and have experimented with virtually every possible working scenario......I'm pretty much an expert with "my system" and it's configuration.

My earlier comments were meant to indicate that I had attempted to try every possible scenario to get my "geofencing" feature to operate again........as it used to previously......when until quite recently it stopped performing correctly. My attempts to ascertain what had changed left me with only one assumption.......and that is that tado° had (once again) (inadvertently) caused a problem when they had downloaded one of their many App updates.....(this is quite a common outcome for tado° App updates)

So, I apologise if I confused you with my earlier comments.

ps This will not be a problem for me soon.......cos I'm taking it out.......I'm not happy with the level of support from tado° any more, and their total lack of responses to Community Forum members requests/suggestions/complaints says a lot about their business ethos.

So I'm voting with my feet.......

• Fair enough - my comment still stands, I've been a user since 2014 and geofencing has worked perfectly for me since day 1.

• And now today.......it's working again.....how about that 🤔

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 if your techy, do your self a favour and ditch tado˚, and get your self Drayton Wiser and Home Assistant, it way more powerful.

• I am ditching tado but I've been put off by the tado system.....going to go "old school" with weather Compensation.
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭

yeah, Tado has gone down hill over the years, Wiser is great, although OpenTherm is not the best, i plan to go WC for next winter too (unless they improve it by then), Home Assistant give you way more control. If you your in to that sort of thing.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

@andyblac

Pardon my ignorance.......but is Home Assistant an IOS feature or is it possible for Android devices ??🤔 As I said....pardon my ignorance 🙏

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

@GrayDav4276 is PC software that run's 24/7 like on a Raspberry Pi, for controlling your smart home.

You add plugins (Integrations) that link to your smart home hardware like Wiser. It's free, if you think you could do it, and have a spare computer to run it on, give it a go.