Tado tiles a waste of an oppitunity

I am a new comer to Tado and the biggest disappointment is the app, the tiles on the Home section is an utter shambles, I find it really stupid having to go into a tile to view the inside temp, humidity and heat request (the 3 little squiggles) and the fact that no icon with in the tiles show if the radiator is receiving heat (an icon of a flame would be great) this would be so much better to show it on the tile itself and make the app so much better, I don't want to go into every tiles for a device just to view this info, I only ever want to go into the tile to manually change the temp..

Tado dev's please please please can you update the app with these life altering features please!

it would be so great to see this on the next update.

thank you.

14 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Life altering......a little bit dramatic 😎
  • Seraphim
    Seraphim
    edited November 2022

😉 if it saves me click time then its life altering to me, waste no time 😁

• In that case.....I cancel my previous comment 👍

• Straightforward script I hacked up to do this for me:

#!/bin/bash

echo -n ESC[33\;1mQuick Overview Tado stateESC[0m

/home/luteijn/devel/tado/tado.py |grep -e zone-name -e humidity -e heatingPower -e insideTemp -e batteryState -e currentFwVersion | sed "s/^.\+://" | while read

do

if [ "x$(echo "x${REPLY}x"|cut -c 2)x" != "x x" ]

then

echo

echo -n "ESC[1m$REPLY:ESC[0m"

else

echo -n "$REPLY"

fi

done |sed "s/,/*/" |sed "s/,/%/" |sed "s/,/°C/"

echo

Output is something like this:

Quick Overview Tado state

Living Room/Kitchen: 0.0* 54.4% 17.03°C 'NORMAL', '97.1', 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Bathroom: 0.0* 60.7% 16.8°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Bedroom/Office 1: 22.0* 59.8% 15.75°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Bedroom/Office 2: 3.0* 58.3% 16.05°C 'NORMAL', '95.1', 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Bedroom 3: 0.0* 63.4% 17.45°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Bedroom 4: 0.0* 64.8% 16.22°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Blue Room: 0.0* 61.2% 15.59°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Corridor: 0.0* 74.8% 12.85°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Basement/Garage: 0.0* 59.4% 15.39°C 'NORMAL', '95.1',

Hot Water: 'NORMAL'* '97.1'%

Based on a simple dump of the info from the cloud API made by the tado.py script it uses:

#!/usr/bin/python3

import PyTado.interface

from pprint import pprint

tado=PyTado.interface.Tado('<email>','<password>')

pprint(tado.getMe())

zone_by_id={}

zone_by_name={}

zones=tado.getZones()

index=0

for zone in zones:

print('\033[33;1m')

print(str(index)+' - '+str(zone['id'])+' - zone-name:'+zone['name'])

print('\033[0m')

zone_by_id[str(zone['id'])]=index

zone_by_name[zone['name']]=index

pprint(tado.getState(zone=zone['id']))

print('\033[33;1m---\033[0m')

pprint(zone['devices'])

index+=1

print(zone.keys())

tado.py (END)

---

Wrapping the output in html for use in a autorefreshing web page and filtering the output for hot water (I've got a combi, so don't care about it) is left as an exercise for the reader, I just use "watch -ctn 30 ./overview.sh" instead.

• Help 😣.........what's all the "gobbeldygook" about............
    "I'll get me coat" 😎
  • My hobby: answering retorical questions....

The first bit is a bash script ( https://linux.die.net/man/1/bash ) to format website output into one line per room overviews showing zone name, heat demand, rel. humidity, temperature, state of the batteries, and firmware version (last two repeated if more than one device in a room/zone)

second bit is typical output, here is a screen shot of two consecutive runs, looks like there was no update to the cloud in between:

I didn't bother filtering out the Hot Water state, as you can see in the picture..

The bash script uses a bit of python scripting to get the raw information from the website with PyTado, so that is also shown, although it is pretty straight-forward.

And the last incantation is just a way to update the display every so often with the output of the first script.

If only manipulating the relais and valve actuators was as straight-foward as reading out the current values.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022

"Where's me coat"........'cos this is WAY over my head 😱😎😵

And for that reason......"I'm Out"

• Gazab
    Gazab
    edited January 2023
    I agree if you have 6 tiles on the home page it would be very useful if I the next update you could see which tile or tiles are calling for heat.
  • Just as a matter of interest.....the App homepage with the room tiles does already contain everything you requested (except humidity)......
    Current temperature
    Set to temperature........
    Plus a "Heating To temperature" (if device is currently heating)
    It even shows if your room is scheduled to an economical setting via the base colour of the tile.....
  • GrayDav4276
    True I hadn’t noticed the “Heating to …” because it’s in the smallest font on the tile! A flame or those wave lines I think would be better. The tile has loads of “dead” space to put more info/symbols such as those and even what the device is eg rad stat or room stat.
  • Ps to my comment, the “Heating to ….” only means the rad stat is opening and hopes to heat because if it is set to “independent” it won’t switch the boiler on, so a tile symbol should ideally differentiate that subtlety too!
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Tado can't differentiate between the independent SRT and the zone controlled SRT (check you room graphs) ........ I can't see the possibility of tado being able to add an icon to the homepage....... I agree with your observation that it would be useful.....but it's tado development that we are talking about.......not gonna happen any time soon.
  • As per previous comments it’s all in the software somewhere so most things should be possible. But I won’t be holding my breath!

The other thing I’ve noticed (I’m a newbie) is the rad stats do not represent the room temperature once the rad gets hot, the proximity of its temperature measuring device is clearly a downfall. For instance I have set them to 25c with minus 1 offset to keep the living room at a comfy 22c!
  • I would really appreciate knowing if heat is being supplied in a more visual way - the little font saying ‘set to’ or ‘heating to’ is too little and not visual enough. When I see a green tile I feel it’s OK, but if it’s always heating then green seems erroneous

• The colour of the tile is a reflection of the temperature setting.... Green = economical and Orange/Red = High
    The colour of the tile does not represent the fact that your room is heating.
  • Re Tado tile colours. The discussion in our house goes something like this!

Green - Economical
    Hubby “Put a layer or two on, love” 😏
    Wifey “I have, it’s still freezing!”🥶

Orange - High
    Hubby “By heck! It’s warm in here” 😳
    Wifey “You’re Joking, it’s still too cold”🥶

Deep Orange/Red - High High!
    Hubby “It’s like a sauna in here” 🥵
    Wifey “I’m just warming up! 😌

Sound familiar?
  • That sounds to be exactly the same as my house.......😎