Simple improvement to use Tado both for heating and cooling

More and more users are moving to heath pumps both for heating and cooling, by having the same pump satisfy both needs by pumping fluid under the pavement. Unfortunately, so far, Tado only has a minimum temperature in his controller, so it is only possible to employ it for heating. A simple improvement would entail adding also a maximum temperature so that, when the temperature is in the middle, or the users are away, windows are open etc. the pump is switched off, when the temperatura drops under the minimum temperature, the pump works by heating as customary, and when it raises above the maximum temperature it powers the pump to produce cold water.

That would be a minimal improvement from the point a view of software but a great benefit for environment aware users.

16 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I am desperate for this type of controller. Standard Air-Air control systems are useless. You physically have to switch between cooling and heating. And setting typical timed controller although not impossible, is not a rewarding experience.

TADO should sort this out as above suggestion, which is entirely logical. Possibly consider allowing the setting of Dehumidify or Cooling modes if temperature rises above the set point. I have found that Dehumidify achieves the desired comfort conditions, but cannot prove it's more economical/less ecologically harmful. (But we all could if TADO sorted this out!).

Love the original product on our water/radiator based heating system, though. I will be patient for above solution....

• Yep, with more and more people getting ASHPs there definitely needs to be a better thermostat solution. If tado doesn’t create it someone else will and we’ll all switch to that…
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin

tado° is very much aware that the market for heat pumps is growing. Quickly. We support the air-air heat pumps with our Smart AC Control already, and to some extent (=heating) X to water HPs with our Smart Thermostats as well. However, the X to water HP compatibility still needs work. Also; the addition of HP specific features to the app.

Better HP specific features will come. As I mentioned, we believe HPs will become huge in the market very quickly, and we obviously want a (big) slice. I just cannot give you a timeline for specific changes. However, the suggested change to the schedule that is proposed here is an interesting one to me personally and is certainly something I will discuss with our developers.

• The problem is controlling air-water heat pump, and possibly water-water ones. In both cases a single heat pump controls both heating and cooling possibly by tubing under the pavements and dehumidifiers. I think the work on your part would be minimal: you would need two control wires: one for heating and one for cooling and a simple software adjustment to allow to set both a minimal and maximum temperature, instead of just the former as of now.

• fbartolom
    fbartolom ✭✭
    edited August 2022

It would also be nice if you gave timelines, if the update comes in a few month I may mount a very economic switcher in my new house waiting for Tado to keep up. In the other case I would need something alternative more powerful and it would be harder to switch to Tado later.

• + 1 I agree exactly with fbartolom - that is all that is needed for this to work in my house. It's very simple and does not require any digital bus communications with heatpumps.

• When is Tado getting their act together and support Free Cooling for Ground Heatpumps?

It does not need to control the temperature in summer. All it needs to do is to provide a switch to open all the valves in summer. The temperature of the cooling is controlled by the Heatpump.

• I think the new heat pump connector does this. Very far from free though.
  • The new connector does not work for cooling:

I think the (absurd) price comes from the fact that all the manufacturers have their own protocols and logic. Developing a system that works with all must be horrible and expensive. However, as a consumer: why would I need a system that works with each and every make? I hope to keep my heat pump for years... So this solution is an overkill for consumers anyways. But, on the other hand, when will HP manufacturers play nice and all stick to one protocol?