second Temperature Sensor in same room

Options
For large rooms TRVs don’t work well. If you could assign a second temperature sensor to the same room the localised effect of the TRV sensor could be counteracted and compensated for.
2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Bertskiii
    Options
    You can already do this. Probably the cheapest way is to use a second TRV, but not connect it to a radiator. I have done exactly this in one of my rooms - with the unconnected TRV in a completely different part of the room (just sitting on a shelf) - and it solved the problem really well. The rad now stays on until the room is properly heated, rather than going on and off repeatedly when the air near the rad has warmed up.
  • phillb
    Options

Thanks. I didn't realise that it linked rooms in the back ground. It seems a bit of a waste and expense to buy a rad valve for this purpose How does it cope with them both set at differing temperatures or does it manage this in the back ground? I'm intrigued. A cheaper "smart thermostat" would I think be more elegant but as you say they are more expensive than the rad valve

• GrayDav4276
    Options

Hi @phillb ,

What @Bertskiii means is that the " extra " device is set as the " measuring device " for the Tado Room......this cab be achieved with a second SRT or indeed by adding a separate Temperature Sensor......the reason that @Bertskiii mentioned the use of an unmounted SRT is purely that the cost differential between the two devices.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    @hugbilly

I note that the links are for "refurbished" devices.......not new prices.
  • hugbilly
    Options

Yes, I presume they were returned by customers, however I have bought several of the refurbished TRVs and they arrive good as new and work as effectively as the new ones I had bought previously . . .