[Released] Make the size of the current temperature in the Room Screen bigger

[tado edit]: Scroll down to see our reply from November 15th, 2021.

[Original text]:

On the room screen, why have Tado made the current room temperature in the room so small that (some of us with poorer eyesight) cannot see what the inside temperature is before moving the scale? this is in the top left of the screen and it’s been blocked out on the above picture.

please can Tado make the current room temperature bigger to assist setting the room temperature?

9 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• It boggles the mind to wonder what Tado was thinking when they chose their miniature font sizes compounded with colour choices like white on yellow. At 59 years, even with specs on, it is a bit of a squinting exercise. Yet 3/4 of each room tile is empty space. Who on earth would think that was a good idea?

Sure, I could increase font size on Android, except no other app requires such steps and to do so just for Tado would mess up everything else.

• Hi Both,

This has been "requested" of Tado,ever since they started to make the changes to these App pages.......you would "assume" that this would be an extremely easy thing to achieve......but for some reason......Tado are really dragging their feet with this absolutely necessary alteration.

Come on @Jurian and co......

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

@GrayDav4276 @rich4792 @eezytiger

Definitely a step backward comparing to previous layout / GUI.

This must be re-designed for sure!

• As I recently received an email from Tado entitled Feature release recap 2021 where it celebrated the redesign as follows:

"Improvements to the Room Screen now make it even easier to adjust the temperature and set the duration of your manual control. We also added a Resume Schedule button under the temperature slider. This lets you easily switch from manual control settings back to your Smart Schedule."

I doubt that they will be changing it anytime soon.

• Unfortunately @what_a_tado
    I think that you are absolutely correct, I can't see Tado "correcting" such a glaringly stupid mistake.
    The text size is too small for some of the information to be easily read.
    I genuinely can't understand why it should be so difficult to achieve.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

Finally I can see my Tado° !

• I'm loving it......brilliant 🤣😂😎
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin
    edited November 2021

@eezytiger and @rafm5

I actually used the pictures you two provided to convince our programmers that something needed to change here. The change is not huge, but it is the biggest change that could be made without changing the whole design. There seems to be some space left in these screenshots, but some languages use longer words which would not fit if a bigger font were to be used while keeping the same design. I hope it is sufficient.

You'll see the before and after below. The font size of 'inside now' and 'humidity' has increased up top, as has the 'next change' part below.

This will become available this month.

Before:

After:

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @Rob Thanks for this. White on yellow is still a challenge though - just not much contrast there. If you can't increase the font size further, would BOLD text be an option that could help, or maybe black text if the background is yellow/pale?

Anyway, any improvement gratefully welcomed.
  • @Rob By the way, have you seen how things look on a tablet? This is a Galaxy Tab S7 Plus.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Rob Thank you!

Since you are already picking this issue with your devs I found 2 new bugs directly related to this:

1) https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/comment/31135

2) set the heating period to 15 minutes (minimum) and suspend the phone. Return back to the app after 15 minutes to this

• Rob
    Rob | Admin
    edited November 2021

@rafm5

About your point #1: Someone will have to reproduce that issue. I am not able to do that right now. I will ask someone to look into it.

About #2: This seems like some kind of synchronisation error. I took the liberty to look at the tado° account that belongs to your forum email address, and there it says a timer was started in that room for 15 minutes at 17:47 and ended 18:02. So it worked as it should. The screenshot tells a different story though. If this happens again, I would recommend to contact support directly. Out of curiosity: Does this 'fix itself' if you simply close the room screen?

On the one hand, the forum is a great tool to find and quantify issues. On the other hand, it is not ideal for quickly fixing issues for individuals.

@eezytiger

Today, a new Android version has been released (6.27.0) with one of the features being 'Room screen with a bigger text size for tablets'. Does this update fix the issue for you?

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Rob I have 6.27.0 installed on both phone (Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G) and tablet (Tab S7 Plus). Here are the latest samples from screen prints.

Phone....

This is blown up massively as I view it on my tablet, where the text size appears fine. However, the hopelessly weak contrast between white text on yellow is evident. Shrunk back down to the actual phone screen size it remains needlessly difficult to read. You (Tado) clearly have no respect for people with impaired vision. Mine is actually fine, with glasses, but frankly this is a joke.

You have these massive tiles and you populate a small corner of them with miniature text. There is plenty of room for larger text, better colour combinations and, if need be, wrapping text over an extra line. I just can't believe you guys thought this was good design. It isn't.

Look at the font size and clarity in the notification bar. This is a "proper" size and contrast. Now look at your thin, feint font, so spindly that it isn't even solid white, more a dirty white, blended with the background colour.

Tablet. Again, consider the notification bar text to be a sensible minimum font size. Why is yours so miniscule?

And in landscape orientation, as your graphs require, even more hopeless.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@Rob Hi Rob

1) Thank you

2) I believe it is just a GUI glitch. You can reproduce it yourself (iOS) Literally set the heating to 5 mins and keep the screen on. Allow your phone to go into standby mode and then resume it after 5 mins. The app doesn't refresh the screen hence the issue. To fix the problem just go to another screen.

PS: You've mentioned that you are working on a new forum with a new layout. Please consider creating a separate place for bugs etc.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @rafm5 @Rob with regards to your "synchronisation error" in point 2, I see a similar sync error on android, albeit not identical to above.

I always leave the tado app running in the background as advised, so never swipe it away. However - occasionally I'll open the app and the tiles are all wrong. For example I know that the heating in some rooms may have come on, yet the app is not reflecting that. Two ways I've found to force it to update...

1. Completely close and reopen the app.
    2. Access the Air Comfort screen, which seems to kick the sync process back into life.

It's not the end of the world as I know the system is working correctly behind the scenes, and it's just the app failing to update the status, and I recognise and can "correct" the issue. However, it is annoying and shouldn't happen.