AC and normal heating in same room

ldj
ldj

In the bedroom we have underfloor heating. I already had a Tado thermostat installed that controlled the underfloor heating.

Separately we now got a airconditioning unit that also heats. I have just purchased a Tado AC control unit (V3+) to control it.

The question is: How to set this up? Do I tell them they are in the same room? They have a very different heat profile. Underfloor heating works very slowly but its nice to have a warm floor, aircon warms the air quickly but things still feel cold ot the touch.

I would like the floor to heat to about 16-17 degrees and the aircon unit (heat pump) to further raise the temp to about 18 or 19 degrees. How can I set this up so they dont get in each others way?

Curious to hear your thoughts.

Answers

• Looking forward to answers to this as I have the same set up - I've not bought the Tado AC control yet. Does it allow you to access both the cooling and heating functions on your AC?

• Ik ben ook wel nieuwsgierig hiernaar.

Hier hebben we in meerdere kamers het zelfde "probleem", er is vloerverwarming en een losse airco wand unit (met IR) waarvoor we de Tado willen gebruiken en we willen niet twee apparaten (de thermostaat en de slimme airco bediening) ophangen. Misschien een idee voor de V4 Thermostaat, IR in bouwen dat dit ook te bedienen is want echt uniek is het niet wat wij thuis hebben.

• Would love to know if anybody has found a way to even just add the Tado Ac control and Smart thermostat to the same room in the Tado app?

Still hoping for an answer o my original question!

• i have outfitted a prior home and an office with Tado, and am now looking to set up a new home with a large number of radiators, AC units, etc. So I am researching to make sure Tado will meet all my needs here.

So far, my primary learning is that Tado ignores this official forum, so AI am left to guess in many cases.

• Did anybody find anything out about this. If you have smart radiator valves + aircon in same room, does it put on the Aircon to heat ? I just want to use the aircon controller as a thermostat.

• +1 for this, would love this

• Yes, I would like to know that as well. I have Tado Thermostat for in floor heating. I also have 4 split units in the apartment. Do actually these devices "talk" to each other?

Additionally do you plan for AC Tado that is battery powered? I know it is wifi and would require changing the batteries more often that your other devices that use 6LoWPAN but all of us already have a bridge for heating systems. I can not use Tado AC in 3 rooms as there is no way to connect it to power in the line of sight. And in Europe we don't have paper walls :) so its not that easy to move the power to suitable place.

• +1 for this as well, should be a critical feature as far as I'm concerned
  • +1 for me also, i would like tado to implement this :-)

• +1 for me, has anyone found a solution for this?

• In a support chat, I got this answer which I hope indicates it is on their backlog/roadmap. This is legitimately a very complex feature, but if we keep asking I hope it gets prioritized!

My colleagues from the Development Team are already aware of this request. Unfortunately, I cannot share any relevant information on this matter. If the function becomes available, you will be informed about it. Unfortunately, that is all I can say for now. Thanks for your understanding.

• Looking forward to this progress as at this moment there is NO integration with AC and smartthermostat In any way. Even the measured temperatures in the room are not the same. I think it is a complex puzzle to be solved by the Tado engineers.
  • it has been 2 years exactly since i posted this.... since then, exactly 0 changes have been made to this problem.

Long roadmap that they have there... or extremely low priority

• +1 for me, wouldnt this be programmable with a homebridge?
  • it could be easily done with a software update imo... you would provide the ability to single out a single Wireless temperature sensor as a heating and COOLING control switch and allow the user to input at what temperature(s) they would like the UFH/Radiator heating for that room to cut off and the AC to turn on.

• I think it is becoming more difficult:

• my Daikin Airco can cool and warm (electricity)
    • my Vaillant is heating and creating warm water (gas)
    • heating with gas is more efficient than heating with electricity when outside temperature is below 5°. How much efficient, is still open for me.
    • The price of electricity and of gas changes daily. When price of gas goes up severely, than heating with electricity will be more efficient even below 5° outside.

Now, can Tado solve this puzzle and make me earn money by finding the most efficient way of heating (gas or electricity or both) at any moment of the day

• Relatively speaking it COULD be done... if the energy provider had smart meters with a API... OR if their website had an API that allowed you to connect the Tado thus giving you live data feed of price/unit from your provider...

The Tado rooms setups would then need to have the ability to have inputs for energy usage of boiler and Air-Con... Considering the Tado app ALREADY has a smart feature to get your room warm BY a certain time... it would be able to LEARN which energy gas or electric is achieving this quickly but NOT efficiently.

In reality it would be very difficult to measure the gas central heating efficiency against electric aircon. The central heating loop heats to a certain degrees C and then just MAINTAINS that temp in the loop using LESS gas to heat until the room thermostats reached their desired temp. Whereas the Aircon from what I understand has NO control as such it is either on or off (there is no slow ramp up or ramp down to maintain) decided by a thermostat. I could be wrong.

BUT regardless of all the above assumptions the biggest question would be... would the cost of software DEV from Tado be worthwhile?

• Interesting feedback.

In Belgium gas and electricity transport is moving to digital meters which are accessible through an API of Fluvius (company responsible for energy transport). In 2025 every household will have been moved to those new digital meters (I have been moved already).

For the ramp up/down speed of the aircon, modern airco like the latest Daikin, are working the same way as gas, where it can be fully regulated.

The choice of airco vs gas could be done by some learning process that could monitor the efficiency of both systems depending of inside and outside temperature vs price at at a given moment.

It is indeed to be evaluated if the cost of software development would be worthwhile, but this can only be done with a testproject.

• The above could actually be done quite easilly with an automation in apple home.

Something like this:

PUt both a 'normal Tado' thermostat and arconditioning control unit in the same room but tell them they are in 2 different rooms (A and B for the example)

If outside air temp is below 5 degrees C, heat room A to 18 Deg C - This will turn on the gas heating.

If outside air temp is above 5 degrees C heat room B temp to 18 deg C - this will turn on the AC unit.