Danfoss TP9000

Options

Hi, I have a Danfoss TP9000 programmer installed 'Downstairs' in the kitchen with a TS2 temperature sensor wired into the Hall.

From what I've read and understand, I need to :-

1. Install an Extension Kit Add-on to replace the TP9000.
  2. Install a Wired Smart Thermostat (add on) to manage the temperature downstairs.

Is this correct?

Am I right in saying that the Wired Smart Thermostat will actually Just be battery powered and won't need to connect to any wires because it will control the downstairs temperature via the Extension kit?

BTW - I already have Tado V3+ installed - That manages my 'Upstairs" Heating Zone. This is why I'm buying Add-ons and not the full-kit. I already have the Wifi dongle and upstairs thermostat.

Hope anyone can help?

Best Answer

• Olly
    Olly
    Answer ✓
    Options

It works! Thanks for the help!

So in summary: -

Zone 1 - Upstairs - Danfoss TP5000 - Was a direct swap with a Tado Smart Thermostat

Zone 2 - Downstairs - Kitchen - Danfoss TP9000 - Was a direct swap with Tado Extension Kit

Downstairs - Hall - Danfoss TS2 thermostat - Device now redundant - I bought a Tado Smart Thermostat (Add-on) which connects to the Tado Extension Kit wirelessly. This also means you can now position it wherever you like!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The TP5000 replacement was easy to install; required a couple of screw holes.

The TP9000 replacement was VERY easy to install. The Tado Extension kit has screw holes that match the baseplate of the TP9000 so other than connecting the cables per the instructions, it was almost a straight swap.

One thing I noticed was that when I added the Extension Kit, the Tado app thought the Upstairs thermostat was providing the Downstairs temperature and vice versa. This was easily solved by renaming the zones and then swapping the Thermostats upstairs <> downstairs. This meant that appropriate thermostat could also be used as the Hot Water switch.

All in all, very impressed.

Answers

• Olly
    Options

Many thanks for your help Mr Cheese!

I'll buy the items and give it a go. Will report back when installed and fully working as expected.

Much appreciated.

• EVOB
    Options
    Hi, it seems I have the same setup as yourself. My T9000 is in my garage next to the boiler so I've swapped that out with the extension kit and all is connected.
    The extension kit is now connected up to my smart thermostat but the radiators are not coming on.

I didn't get another thermostat for upstairs as I'm not to bothered about having that working (although its still connected and the only place the radiators are working).
    Do I need to do something with this and also I have the TS2 in my hall way to get everything working?

Any help you can provide would be great.
  • Olly
    Options

Hi EVOB

Your configuration sounds correct to me.

The Extension kit is a direct replacement for the TP9000.

The wires that previously connected into the TP9000 did the following:-

1. Switched hot water on/off (triggered by timer or manual buttons)
    2. Switched radiators on/off (triggered by timer or manual buttons and by thermostat)
    3. Connected to the TS2 thermostat to read the Hall temperature

Now you've installed the Extension Kit...

The TS2 in your hallway should not be connected to anything as it is no longer required and you should have two spare and abandoned cables where the TP9000 was previously located that you DID NOT connect to the extension kit and these you tucked back into the wall.

The smart thermostat entirely replaces the need for the TS2 and tells the Extension Kit what the temperature is and replaces the TP9000 as your controller

This is what you should see..

• The smart thermostat should have the option to turn the hot water on/off (by pressing the button three times the menu changes to hot water)
    • The smart thermostat should allows you to trigger the heating by turning the temperature setting up/down

A couple of questions:

• Please can you take a look at your Smart Thermostat - Does it include the Hot Water on/off option like the photo?
    • Please can you take a look at your Tado app - Does it say "This extension kit controls your heating" like the photo?

If not, then I think your thermostat may not be paired with your Extension kit

T

Olly

• mj293
    Options

Givign this thread a bump as I've just moved into a new (to me) house, which was a new build in 2016 and has the same system fitted, comprising Danfoss TP9000 downstairs, with TS2 sensor in hallway and TP5000 upstairs.

Have brought my Tado smart thermostat with me from the old house, and have bought an extension kit (black edition from Screwfix) with the extension kit and wireless thermostat.

Reading above, looks like it'll hopefully be as straightforward a swap/install, and will look to do it at the weekend.