No hot water

Hi I got an extension kit recently - the heating is working but the hot water doesn’t. I have a horstmann channel plus h37XL controller. Is there a certain way to wire this up. I’ve 3 thermostats - ground floor and then 2 on the 1st 2nd floor that are controlled by a separate zone - then the hot water. The heating is working fine just can’t get the hot water to fire up. Any suggestions would be great

Comments

• Do you hear the relay click when you turn on the hot water?

I assume your system has a zone valve for the hot water. If you do, can you confirm that power is being applied to the valve once the relay clicks on?

What should happen is that the extension kit relay closes to energise the feed for the zone valve. valve opens and then energises the boiler and pump to provide heat.

• batman
    batman
    edited September 2020

Hi there,

I am having same issue. Heating working, hot water nope. I do NOT hear the relay click in the extension Kit (i only hear it when demanding heat). I only installed over the weekend so the hot water has never worked through Tado.

I have taken the Tado extension unit off and manually connected the live to the switched live hot water , and hot water works as it should. So I am thinking either i have a faulty extension unit or something needs to be enabled in sw?

Currently, waiting for support to help..in the meantime , has anyone needed Tado to do any configuration to the extension unit, to enable the hot water channel?

Thanks in advance!

• Thanks GrilledCheese.. sounds like mine perhaps, is configured for the combi i.e single channel? I wonder if i clicked the wrong option when setting up the extension unit.. My setup is typical (S-Plan) heating and hot water system.. i can't see Tado updating this for every customer!

• Ok so the problem was I didn't install the smart thermostat. That's right..I tried to cheap it and do without it..since I was planning to control temps room by room and not a via a centralised thermostat. So I go and buy the thermostat and install and it all works now. There seems to be some interaction between the smart thermostat and extension kit for hot water, but strangely not with the smart TRVs. I think this issue isn't common as everyone else just buys the starter kit with the smart thermostat.
  • Yes, it's a bit strange. The only thing I can think is that you can also control the HW via the Smart Thermostat so perhaps it needs to be there to work

Also worth checking that your system is set to give equal priority between the TRVs and Smart Thermostat. Default is for the ST to have priority so heating only comes on if it calls for heat regardless of what the TRVs want. Unfortunately Tado will need to sort that for you too!

• It sounds like there is an oddity in how your system is wired, not the tado part but the wiring between clock, valves and thermostats. I am speaking from experience with our current house which has Tado and they were excellent at setting up and our previous house, no Tado. For both houses the heating was not working as it should have and faults were traced back to not entirely competent installers.

• Hi dro_85. I have a standard system boiler and a horstmann channel plus h37XL programmer. I have smart TVs and smart stats. How did you wire the extension kit up so that tado could be used for hot water? Did you swap out the horseman programmer and replace it with extension kit box? I have tado for everything (smart sta upstairs and downstairs and smart radiator valves linked to each stat) but tado support keep telling me I can’t use it for hot water as I have 3 channels (where there’s a will there’s a way surely). Thanks

• Hi, I can see this is an old thread, but possibly still active. Almost a year ago I installed a Wireless receiver, Bridge and 10 Rad Stats, plus Hot water. All working fine until last month when the hot water stopped working. Nothing changed in the setup since it was installed. Basically what happens is, sometimes the light will come on when scheduled for the hot water on the Wireless receiver, but there's no hot water. Most times the light won't come on either. The hot water is operated through a zone valve and when the light does come on, on the receiver, the zone valve light is not on. I thought it was possibly the zone valve, but ruled that out as I'm using the old clock system for the past month, and the hot water is fine, works every time as scheduled on the old digital time. Heating is working fine through the Wireless receiver, just the hot water is a problem.

Can anyone help me with this please. I forgot to mention, it's not a Combi setup.