Smart Radiator summer / maintenance / bleeding mode (leaving the radiator open)

sdmaino
sdmaino ✭✭✭

When summer comes, the valves should stay in open position. With the currently available modes, specially referring to "OFF", the valves stay closed. This is dangerous for the valves themselves, risk to get stucked, and for the pumps of the boilers which run periodically to prevent pump lock due to long inactivity.

111 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Muadib86
    Muadib86 ✭✭✭

i have post a new thread with the same idea last year on the italian community

Have 50 upvote, i try write here maybe the english section have more tado employee can implement this

but i have just little hope, because some users say that is around 3/4 years they have to implement

• sdmaino
    sdmaino ✭✭✭

Did this for the same reason: have some more visibility.

Ciao.

• It is also useful in case of several Thermostats. If by this system we are focusing of money saving, it is not acceptable to run heating while AC cooling the room under the winter target temperature.

For radiator thermostats a stuck prevention would be also great. Open and close valves in every 2-3 weeks.

• Another user had a similar request, to be able to fully open valves in the as it increases the longevity of the thermostatic valves.

So it looks like there’s multiple scenarios where this is needed. Upvoted. :-)
  • I was suprised that this isnt a feature on Tado.

Migo has this, but when I used Migo i had old school radiator thermostats that I could simply open fully during summer when the heater was off.

So yes ...

A summer/winter function which turns of the heating function of my boiler (or enters a summer mode) AND opens up all the valves.

• Could this be a workaround:

• Set your heater to 'off' for the heating (i can leave the hot water function on)
    • Twist off all TRV's, that way the valve remains fully oppen (correct?)
    • Set a new shedule preset (use of the three options that isnt in use for example) with a low temperature so there is no heat being requested.

To be clear: I'd rather like to see this implemented as a software feature/setting in the app instead of doing this manually :)

• Ive also reached out to tado and asked them to have this feature.

• I asked the same question and got the following answer (Screenshot attached)

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    If the Tado actuator causes an issue then just remove it temporarily. There is zero need to replace it with regular TRV.
    Once you remove the Tado actuator the valve will be fully open.
    Additionally, radiators should not be bled with the pump running as this can draw air in, rather than letting it out.
    Finally, all rad's have 2 pipe connections. TRV valve being shut *should* not prevent the radiator from being bled through the other pipe.
    Just make sure the system is fully pressurised (and remains pressurised while being bled) and any zone valves are hooked open.
  • Different origin but at the end same feature. Let's upvote both !

• Definately a needed feature

• Ben_UK
    Ben_UK ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Another workaround that I assume will work??

Set all trv's to have no zone controller making each one an "independent trv" and therefore unable to call for heat. Open them all fully (maybe with the boost option) and neither the pump or the boiler should not switch on.

But a feature within the app would be much better
  • JanSpeksnijder
    edited April 2022

This was the answer I got for how to open all valves without starting the boiler.

"During the boiler maintenance, the best move is to set all rooms to OFF in the app, so they don't start the boiler, then simply remove the Smart Radiator Thermostats from their mounting brackets, like when changing the batteries."

How can I vote for a button in the app to do this without removing all my smart radiator thermostats?

• I approve 100% this request.
    Being able to force open the valve should have been a basic feature in the first place.

Both suggested solutions sucks:
    - Set the valves to independant and boost: in the summer it can be >25c where i live thus the valves will close...
    - Unmount the trv from the radiator: seriously bro!?
  • Hello!

Dear Tado, why have there been no answers to these summer programs for years? Don’t they feel this is important despite the myriad requests?

Regards

• Up

Body is 18 characters too short
  • summer mode is essential. How come so long no updates? It is very easy, cmon!
    Domenico from Italy
  • Having both valves of a radiator open isn't any particular advantage in Summer for bleeding purposes. In fact, it could be helpful if air just bubbled-up to a particular radiator as that one could be bled easier on its own.

You only require one radiator vale on a radiator top be open in order to bleed or fill it but you require two to be open for pumped water to flow through it from flow to return.

What might be useful is a once per month cycle in summer to motor SRV's fully each way once. If the SRV's did this once per month then it would be unlikely they would seize.

• You got it!

I don't want to remove the smart head from radiator every year! It's stupid and insane. it should be a standard feature to set the valve to "old" values 1 (fully closed),2,3,4,5(fully opened). I don't think it's a big issue in terms of software development. I will be happy to pay this service if needed.

• I don't think that it's a good idea to specify that you are "willing to pay a subscription" for a service that should be avaliable from tado.
    This type of "subscription" service is already being discussed on the Netherlands Forum......be careful what you wish for.......
  • This is essential functionality. To keep TRVs fully open during summer I had to remove TADO actuators from mounting brackets on all radiators. A bit crazy..... Summer mode would be better.

• @lajos88 so when tado heads are unmounted, valves will be auto open and remains open? No need to do anything more before that?

No need to set the temperature to 25 degrees or turn off the boiler, etc.?

Ty!
  • This is funny why would be bother removing the thermostats every time when we want to bleed the radiators. This is a very sensible feature request -> Bleed Mode.

• CiupaSs
    CiupaSs
    edited November 2023

please let us leave the smart valve fully opened all the time and work only as a temperature sensor and for calling heating from the boiler

• Definitely need this function.