tado° brings real-time energy cost visualisation into its app

rafm5
rafm5 ✭✭
edited September 2 in The Boiler Room

London 02.09.2021

The new intuitive cost forecasting tool empowers all tado° users with an Auto-Assist subscription to track and control their heating costs at home.

https://www.tado.com/gb-en/press-release/tado-cost-savings-report

Comments

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. I did see an article somewhere last year that suggested tado was intending to or had been working with Ovo Energy to see how they could integrate data from a smart meter to provide real time cost data, to better inform users of how much their heating was costing (and presumably a more accurate measure of how much tado was saving)...

I wonder if this is the result.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2
    I'm sorry to say that as a confirmed tado cynic.......this is another "sales pitch" to drum up more subscribers for the Tado "Auto Assist" function within the App.
    I can't wait to see how long it will take for the users to realise that it's just another element of the Tado system that is "more of a promise than a reality"
    I utilise a spreadsheet for my monthly/annual usage and predicted spend. This helps me to choose my energy supplier with great confidence, because my "projected annual usage" is based on real-time actual usage figures from the previous year.......therefore a straight comparison of month for month figures indicates whether my current usage is in line with the same period for last year.
    I fully appreciate that not everyone has the time to spare to compile a simple spreadsheet, but I have, and I find it really useful for me.
    I await the input from other Tado users on this, but it will take quite a few months to provide any useful comparative data.......so I will just have to wait and see.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭
    edited September 3

@GrayDav4276 Same thoughts here. Time will tell how this is going to work.

Not impressed about the fact that this is not a free feature – you may receive same or even better results by having a Smart Meter...

Definitely better return on investment for Tado° - adding a software feature is heaper than designing a new hardware.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited September 3

Hi @rafm5

In general I like the tado system........what I dislike is tado want "subscriptions" for features within "Auto Assist" that either don't work properly [for example EARLY START] or are purely an inaccurate representation of the function itself [for example OPEN WINDOW DETECTION] Some other "functions" are quoted but there is absolutely no way for a tado customer/user to corroborate this "supposed" functionality [for example WEATHER ADAPTATION]...............and , as for this latest "Real-Time Energy Cost Visualisation"...🤣🤡😬

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭
    edited September 3

We will see... xD

In terms of energy cost visualization; some suppliers like Octopus Energy provides API for their customers, so you can browse the half-hourly consumption of an electricity of gas meter (UK) at no cost. The data is straight from your Smart Meter and therefore very accurate. Certainly worth exploring - http://tinyurl.com/2ayc8m2m

Anyway, household energy bills are to rise after prices on the UK's wholesale electricity market soared to a record high last month and there is not much you can really do!

• I’ve got OVO as my energy supply and on my tado app there is a OVO heating insights I’ve only just started with tado so it doesn’t show anything at the moment as the heating is off. But I could let you know when it does do something.