[SOLVED EE ISP Issues] Bridge not connecting / cloud light flashing

AdamW
AdamW ✭✭
edited December 2020 in General Questions & Topics
**PLEASE NOTE WE'VE UPDATED THE ORIGINAL POST FROM THE FORUM ADMIN FOR EVERYONE TO HAVE VISIBILITY ON OUR UPDATES**

EDIT from tadoº 3: Issue seems to be resolved by EE.

EDIT from tadoº 2: At this time it seems likely that this is an issue concentrated to EE (and maybe only EE 4G customers).
We will keep you posted via: https://status.tado.com/

EDIT from tadoº 1: Hi everyone, we are currently investigating why it seems that many of the tado bridges have gone offline for certain UK customers.

It is important to note that:
1. tado has not done any firmware update for the bridge in recent history that could have triggered this issue.
2. We have not changed anything on the server that could have caused a specific outage for one internet service provider in the UK.

We are currently trying to get in touch with with affected customers to find the root cause of this issue.

Kind regards,
Jurian (Admin)

Original Post:

Hi,

On the second day of my Tado bridge cloud light flashing and my heating not working properly. I’ve tried everything in the support article plus changed cables, ports, multiple DNS providers. Before the changes made to try and get it to work nothing has knowingly changed on my end. Anything else smart home wise is working fine.

I’ve tweeted and emailed support. Still waiting for a reply from either. Can anyone help?

It’s cold. Brrrr.

Comments

• I have the same issue that started yesterday also. (Around 8pm GMT).
  • Well at least we aren't alone Xtn. Have you contacted support? I'm still waiting to hear something. Doubt it will be today now.

• @Joey any idea when support might be replying? I haven't had an automatic confirmation so should I resend it? Feeling a little left out in the cold.

• Same here, had the system over a year with little problem then came down to a flashing cloud this morning. Power cycling hasn't helped, I'm wondering if there's been a remote firmware update that's caused this. Still waiting on a response from support.
  • Same here, have power cycled boiler controller, internet bridge and my router and it still can't connect. I contacted support and they just pointed me to some standard support docs :(

• Exactly same here too. Total disrespect with customers.
    Started yesterday morning.
  • Same here too. Working flawlessly until this morning, now the cloud LED flashes constantly no matter what I do. Clearly there is a central problem but status.tado.com reports all is well. This needs to get sorted ASAP.
  • Same issue here- system working fine and now cloud light flashing. We are in the uk- where are you guys?
  • Hey @nickandrews I'm in the UK too. Hoping support gets back to me with some useful help today.

• I’m having the same issue and also UK , I have 4 devices connected but sometimes 1 maybe 2 are saying “no remote access” - I was starting to think it was my internet bridge but after seeing this thread i won’t bother yet - have contacted support but no reply as of yet
  • Had an email from support with the standard "here's a link to our website" and "it's a problem with your router". I'm using a 5G modem with an EE sim, just wondering if we're all on a similar service and if this could potentially be where the issue lies? Still flashing cloud this morning and botched heating...
  • I am in the Uk too, in Scotland. Interestingly my oldest son also has tado installed in his house and his system is working and cloud light is solid. So the issue is not affecting all accounts. I did suspect it was a faulty bridge but we cannot all have suffered failures at the same time, so this is definitely a central tado server issue that is not impacting all accounts.
  • @Sarge I'm using 4G modem/router from EE. I know EE use something called double NATing/CGNAT which means smart devices that need to connect in from outside (as opposed to devices making a connection outwards) can't work (this affects Phillips hue if you want to control your lights from outside your home network) but most smart devices make the connection outwards and obviously Tado was working fine 2 days ago. Potentially they have changed there communication design to require a connection made from to client instead of client to server. I will try and take my bridge to my parents this weekend to try it on a normal BT broadband connection.

Anyone else on an 4G/5G/SIM based modem/router especially if it's EE?

• Hey @sarge, I use a 4g EE broadband connection. The 4g modem is in bridge mode and I have a Ubiquity router. This was all working fine for many months so I don’t subscribe to the theory it is our routers.
  • I had an issue a while ago when I tinkered with my apn settings and had it set to ipv4/ipv6 which knocked out tado connection along with ring and sky. Had to set this to ipv4 only and then everything went back to normal. Seems like there's been a change somewhere either with EE or tado that's creating this communication problem (as per @SimonL). Interestingly I can connect to my.tado.com fine using my phone or pc via my router connection but if I ping it directly through the router it times out, does anyone know the actual ip address for my.tado.com? Im trying to establish whether my routers diagnostic ping is any good as it gets a response from Google.com but not Microsoft.com!
  • @Stevie_D agreed mate, mine has worked fine for months but obviously something has changed either at EE or tado that's now affecting this. Would like to see if this is an issue specifically with all us "4g/5g" guys as it then makes it easier to report the issue with support.
  • I think the true test if for someone to plug their bridge into some elses normal router (not 4G/SIM) - if that works then we know it's an EE or CGNAT problem. I cant do that now as i'm off out, but will try to get to my parents later to try that theory out.

• I have two broadband connections in our house. I just moved the bridge off our EE 4G broadband to the much slower BT Adsl landline and guess what, I now have a solid cloud led !
  • aha! there we have then, it's an EE or CGNAT ing issue - which is really bad as Tado will probably not be able to help, i think the only viable option here is a router where you can configure a private VPN on that allows you to get around the CGNAT issue (i think this is a known workaround for phillips hue external acess that i mentioned previously too), i have a spare router that supports this so will try it later to see if it helps, sadly have to pop out for a few hours now.

• Dagnammit.. Was really hoping it wasn't going to be an EE issue... I've not got a standard broadband connection so going to be stumped. Will have a look at this CGNAT stuff, thanks for the tips gents. Will come back if I find anything useful.
  • @SimonL yes it would appear to be the common link is EE. I am back up and fully operational on the BT ADLS broadband. I want to get to the bottom of this so I will keep checking the forum and also have a think about what may have caused this. At least now I don’t need to get up at 4am to manually set the water heating to on. I need to pop out today so I can’t tinker with settings etc but will get back to troubleshooting tomorrow
  • I've had my issue reported to the developers, I've pointed them to this thread so they can see this is affecting several of us. It still potentially could be an issue with how tado is making connection. I'd have thought if a change at EE would cause this then I'd have similar connection problems with things like Ring, ip cameras and so on but I don't, so I'm making the assumption network config has changed at tado's end that is causing this connection error. Will let you all know how it goes.
  • I have the same issue and am on EE. That's def the common denominator here.

• Has anyone asked EE?

• We are on a 4g connection with EE also. Had this same issue about a year ago and after about 4 days it all went back to normal.
    The fact that tado is more or less defunct without a functioning cloud connection is infuriating. A really unstable system
  • kRt
    kRt
    edited November 2020
    I am on 4G EE as well and it is the only connection I have 😢
  • Same issue here (ee 5g) Had similar 9 months ago. Used a Vodafone sim for a while and then a couple of weeks later the ee just started working again. It’s defn an ee config problem but they don’t know what the issue is............ pleas do let me know if anyone finds a solution....
  • Has anyone had any joy? Still no connection here- so manual operation of the heating for us! 😩

Has anyone raised a tado support ticket?
  • Yes I have. Not expecting much though. Also spoke to EE, they updated my sim but that didn’t make any difference. The guy said he would push it up the line, check out the tado and other social conversations to see how big an issue it is.
  • Well done @mickh

When this happened last time @jonlerneruk and I didn’t get very far with finding the cause. EE support were not interested when I called, and tado didn’t even get back to me!

If you have a support ticket reference with tado or EE- I am happy to ring and add a +1 to the issue if that adds weight