Options
Have I set this up correctly
6 room apartment.
Bed 1 x tvp
Bed 1 x tvp
Bathroom 1 x tvp
Kitchen 1 x tvp
Living room 2 x tvp (2 rads)

Hallway 1 tado thermostat and I have radiator with nothing on it.. should I fit a tvp on it.

Best Answer

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @bornslippy69

Your Thermostat in the hallway is not "specifically" controlling the Hallway Radiator. The Hallway Radiator (without a Tado tvp) will receive heated CH water whenever any other Room tvp's are demanding heat from your boiler.

Your Hallway Thermostat is purely registering the temperature in your Hallway but it is turning on/off your boiler even when your other Room tvp's are inactive.

It is best to have a radiator without a Tado device attached to allow your boiler to dissipate excess heat which could be a problem if all Tado devices close at the same time.

Answers

• Hi,

Unless you specifically want to control the heat in the hallway you don't need a thermostat there (unlike traditional setups).

The radiator with nothing on it may be required so the boiler can still pump water when all TRVs a closed (often towel rails serve this function). I have a rad in the hall with nothing on it but set low for this reason and it just provides a bit of base heat to the house.

Gabriel

• Hi Gabriel and thanks for your reply
    So should I just set the tado wall thermostat to low as there are nothing on the radiator
  • Thanks to you both much appreciated 🍺🍺
  • Hi,

Is the stat assigned to a room in the app? See https://app.tado.com/en/main/settings/rooms-and-devices/room/1 and is anything else in that room? If there isn't then you can physically move the stat and reassign it to a room that can benefit from the extra accuracy.

Gabriel

• Yea assigned to my hallway and It’s a wired thermostat along with a radiator
  • Hi,

So is the Tado stat physically connected to the stat input on the boiler? If it is it actually may be that you need the wireless extension kit rather than a wired stat.

When we moved into our house the heating system had the classic setup of an old-school honeywell stat in the hallway with a cable running all the way to the boiler cupboard. When I upgraded to Tado I completely removed the old honeywell and fitted the extension kit to the boiler. There is a rad in the hallway which is uncontrolled and then all the other rads have Tado TRVs on. The wireless sensor that came with the kit I just chose to assign to the livingroom.

Gabriel

• Yea it is and it was a Honeywell stat. I thinking the tado stat isn’t doing nothing.
  • Hi,

Tantalisingly you still need the wired stat as it will be being used as the Zone Controller for the house even though it is not controlling a room. Probably not worth upgrading to a wireless kit as that add-on is £84! https://uk.shop.tado.com/products/wireless-receiver?variant=40138502668483

If it was easy to move the wiring to a room that is under Tado control you could do that I guess.

Gabriel

• Yea I can move the wires as it’s on other side of the stud wall 👍🏼
    New year job.
    Many thanks again for your help